Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in NC
Filing a North Carolina injury lawsuit involves the following steps:
- Step 1-Assess your case: Filing a personal injury lawsuit in NC is only one possible option in pursuing compensation for the expenses relating to your injuries. After hearing the details of your situation during an initial meeting, a skilled Charlotte personal injury attorney can advise you of the most appropriate approach, whether the injury lawsuit involves a form of out-of-court settlement or needs to go to court.
- Step 2-Collect evidence: Whether you pursue a personal injury lawsuit or choose a settlement option, you need evidence to prove your case. The personal injury laws in North Carolina are complex, requiring you to prove that someone else was responsible for your injuries and the extent and costs associated with that injury.
- Step 3-Filing the Complaint: At this point, your injury attorney files the paperwork required to initiate personal injury lawsuits in Charlotte. Charlotte and other local courts typically require a formal written complaint and a summons to notify the defendant to appear in court. Your lawyer may also file a jury demand, which officially requests a jury trial, if permitted by law.
- Step 4-Courtroom proceedings: After all defendants have been served, and prior to the actual trial, the attorneys on both sides of a Charlotte personal injury law suit meet for a pretrial hearing with the judge to discuss scheduling matters that determine how long the trial is likely to take. After this phase, the trial begins. It is important to note that, even during the trial, both sides can reach settlement agreements, effectively ending the personal injury litigation as of the time agreement has been reached. Otherwise personal injury litigation ends when the jury reaches a verdict and determines an award when the plaintiff wins the case.
How our firm can help with your personal injury law suit in Charlotte
Clearly, injury litigation is a complex process. If you suffer injury due to the negligence of someone else, you have enough worries without dealing with the many legal details involved in your case. Whether you decide to pursue a personal injury settlement or take the case to trial, The Law Office of Estwanik & May, PLLC works with you every step of the way. Our Charlotte injury law firm takes a personalized approach to each client case and provides many services to reduce the stress:
- Advice: We advise you on the least stressful approach your case merits to gain the compensation you deserve.
- Resources: We have access to any investigative experts and witnesses needed to prove your case.
- Experience and legal knowledge: We have the experience working with the local court systems and processes, and we are thoroughly familiar with the complex state and local personal injury laws that pertain to your case.